The Red-Blue Scrimmage will be held today at 3:20 p.m. at McKale Center with a live Web cast starting at 2:30 at the Pac-12′s site. …
The UA’s second Final Four team — 1993-94 — will be honored on the 20th anniversary of their accomplishment. It’s unfortunate that Khalid Reeves and Ray Owes will not be in attendance but current UA assistants Joseph Blair and Damon Stoudamire will be there.
Joe McLean, Kevin Flanagan, Corey Williams, Dylan Rigdon, Jason Richey, Andy Brown and Jarvis Kelley will also be in attendance. …
Recruiting targets in attendance will be point guard Parker Jackson-Cartwright (2014 commit), power forward Craig Victor (2014 commit), wing player Stanley Johnson (2014), guard Tyler Dorsey (2015), and guard Derryck Thornton Jr. (2016).
Justise Winslow (2014 wing) and Michael Humphrey (2014 post player) will visit next week. …
The most logical Class of 2014 prospects to pick Arizona are Johnson and Humphrey.
Winslow visits Duke after Arizona and Zagsblog.com reports that Winslow might be a package deal for the Blue Devils along with high-profile recruits Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones.
Johnson, a 6’5″ wing, is a recruiting priority for UA coach Sean Miller dating to the start of the summer evaluation period. Humphrey, a 6’10″ athletic post player, has narrowed his decision to Stanford and Arizona. (Memo to Humphrey: Stanford coach Johnny Dawkins’ seat is red hot). …
Hypothetically, if Miller and his staff lose five players from this year’s team because of early defections to the NBA, and in Jordin Mayes’ case, exhaustion of eligibility, these are the players who could fill the void:
Potential departing player (Class of 2014 replacement)
– Freshman forward Aaron Gordon as a wing (Stanley Johnson)
– Junior guard Nick Johnson at shooting guard (Stanley Johnson, Winslow or potential redshirt candidate Elliott Pitts).
– Sophomore power forward Brandon Ashley (Victor)
– Sophomore post player Kaleb Tarczewski (Humphrey)
– Backup point guard Jordin Mayes (Jackson-Cartwright)
Miller’s potential starting five next season if Gordon, Nick Johnson, Ashley and Tarczewski advance to the next level: T.J. McConnell at point guard, Stanley Johnson or Winslow at shooting guard, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson at small forward, Victor at power forward and Zach Peters at center.
Gabe York, Pitts and Jackson-Cartwright can provide Miller insurance in the backcourt. Humphrey can spell Peters or potentially start. Matt Korcheck will be a senior power forward. The best possible scenario is for Miller and his staff to convince Tarczewski to stay at least through his junior season to bolster the frontline in 2014-15.
Countdown to Tip-off Blogs:
– Arizona Wildcats’ Aaron Gordon vying to become third freshman to win Pac-12 player of year
– Ernie McCray did more than score for Arizona Wildcats
– Arizona Wildcats’ No. 31 not retired with Jason Terry’s name but should be
– No. 32 most storied jersey number in Arizona Wildcats history
– No. 33 in Arizona Wildcats history symbolic of hard work ethic, ideal role players
– Simon says: No. 34 special with two of Arizona Wildcats’ greatest wearing jersey number
– If Arizona Wildcats center Kaleb Tarczewski has field-goal percentage like Jud Buechler, UA will be fine
– Arizona Wildcats legend Sean Elliott scored career-high 36 points opposing Sean Miller
– Nick Johnson looks to improve perimeter shooting, limit turnovers
– Jordin Mayes hoping to return to shooting form earlier in Arizona Wildcats career
– 39 days and counting toward Arizona Wildcats’ season
– Joe Skaisgir best Arizona Wildcats basketball player you’ve never heard of
– Nick Johnson looks to improve FG percentage while Arizona Wildcats limit opponents
– Chris Mills, A.J. Bramlett reached Arizona Wildcats stardom via different paths, roles
– Jordan Hill climbed hill for notoriety while Ed Nymeyer lived up to hype with Arizona Wildcats
– Fantastic Four who wore No. 44: Jersey special for Arizona Wildcats program
– Two of Arizona Wildcats’ best centers — Sean Rooks and Channing Frye — donned No. 45
– Arizona Wildcats great Ernie McCray reminisces about his record-setting 46-point performance
– Arizona Wildcats star recruit should not be compared to Blake Griffin
– Arizona Wildcats coach Sean Miller on fast track to Pac-12 success
– Things you may not know about Arizona Wildcats point guard T.J. McConnell
– Arizona Wildcats will benefit from presence of Joseph Blair in practice
– Arizona Wildcats preparing for what could be memorable 2013-14 season