Note: The above photograph of McCray is from the Arizona Desert Yearbook
No. 30 facts about Arizona’s hoops program as we are now 30 days from tip-off:
Ernie McCray was sensational enough to be highlighted twice in this countdown. His school-record 46 points against Cal State-Los Angeles in 1960 was showcased on Day No. 46 of the countdown.
Just how good was McCray?
He is one of only three UA players to average a double-double in his career in points and rebounds. Joe Skaisgir (19.9 points and school-record 11.2 rebounds a game) and Al Fleming (15.2 points and 10.4 rebounds a game) are the others.
McCray averaged 17.8 points and 10.8 rebounds (second to Skaisgir) in his career.
– Other No. 30s of note include Mickey Foster (1967-70), Wayne Womack (1989-92) and Justin Wessel (1997-2001).
Foster averaged 12.5 points and 5.7 rebounds in his career for coach Bruce Larson. His claim to fame was his free-throw shooting. He ranks seventh in the UA record books with a free-throw percentage of .824.
Womack and Wessel were key role players for Lute Olson. Womack was an athletic power forward who grabbed 13 rebounds in a game against Evansville in 1991. He also scored a career-high 14 against ASU.
Wessel and Eugene Edgerson are the only players who were part of the 1997 NCAA title team and the 2001 team that advanced to the championship game.
Countdown to Tip-off Blogs:
– Arizona Wildcats’ No. 31 not retired with Jason Terry’s name but should be
– No. 32 most storied jersey number in Arizona Wildcats history
– No. 33 in Arizona Wildcats history symbolic of hard work ethic, ideal role players
– Simon says: No. 34 special with two of Arizona Wildcats’ greatest wearing jersey number
– If Arizona Wildcats center Kaleb Tarczewski has field-goal percentage like Jud Buechler, UA will be fine
– Arizona Wildcats legend Sean Elliott scored career-high 36 points opposing Sean Miller
– Nick Johnson looks to improve perimeter shooting, limit turnovers
– Jordin Mayes hoping to return to shooting form earlier in Arizona Wildcats career
– 39 days and counting toward Arizona Wildcats’ season
– Joe Skaisgir best Arizona Wildcats basketball player you’ve never heard of
– Nick Johnson looks to improve FG percentage while Arizona Wildcats limit opponents
– Chris Mills, A.J. Bramlett reached Arizona Wildcats stardom via different paths, roles
– Jordan Hill climbed hill for notoriety while Ed Nymeyer lived up to hype with Arizona Wildcats
– Fantastic Four who wore No. 44: Jersey special for Arizona Wildcats program
– Two of Arizona Wildcats’ best centers — Sean Rooks and Channing Frye — donned No. 45
– Arizona Wildcats great Ernie McCray reminisces about his record-setting 46-point performance
– Arizona Wildcats star recruit should not be compared to Blake Griffin
– Arizona Wildcats coach Sean Miller on fast track to Pac-12 success
– Things you may not know about Arizona Wildcats point guard T.J. McConnell
– Arizona Wildcats will benefit from presence of Joseph Blair in practice
– Arizona Wildcats preparing for what could be memorable 2013-14 season