No. 35 facts about Arizona’s hoops program as we are now 35 days from tip-off:
– Jud Buechler, the most successful player to wear No. 35 in Arizona’s history, has the distinction of being the only non-post player or power forward to rank in the top 10 in field-goal shooting in a season. Buechler, a small forward, shot 60.7 percent from the field in 1988-89. The other players in the top 10 are post players Anthony Cook, Jordan Hill, Brian Williams, Pete Williams, Joseph Blair and Ed Stokes.
Al Fleming, a power forward, holds the record with a 66.7 field-goal percentage set in 1973-74.
– Buechler, a three-time NBA champ with the Bulls (watch the accompanying video), led the Wildcats in scoring (14.9 points a game) and rebounding (8.3) in his All-Pac-10 season of 1989-90. The only other players to lead the UA in scoring and rebounding since Lute Olson arrived in 1983-84: Pete Williams (1983-84), Chris Mills (1992-93), Ben Davis (1995-96) and Derrick Williams (2009-10 and 2010-11).
– Sophomore center Kaleb Tarczewski, the first starter to wear No. 35 since Buechler, led the Wildcats shooting 53.8 percent from the field and averaging 6.1 rebounds last season. Sean Miller would like those numbers to be closer to 60 percent shooting and 8 rebounds per game.
– Tarczewski is one of four players who started all 35 games last year. The others were Solomon Hill, Mark Lyons and Nick Johnson. Tarczewski, Johnson, Aaron Gordon and T.J. McConnell figure to start every game this season. Brandon Ashley and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson can start at forward depending whether Miller wants to go big (Ashley) or small (Hollis-Jefferson).
– Jason Gardner holds the UA career record with 35.5 minutes a game
– Arizona’s Harold Tovrea scored more points (35) than New Mexico Tech in a 77-17 victory for the Wildcats on Feb. 28, 1924.
– The UA’s first Final Four team in 1987-88, which included Buechler, has the most victories (35) in the program’s history. The Wildcats finished 35-3 that season.
Countdown to Tip-off Blogs:
– Arizona Wildcats legend Sean Elliott scored career-high 36 points opposing Sean Miller
– Nick Johnson looks to improve perimeter shooting, limit turnovers
– Jordin Mayes hoping to return to shooting form earlier in Arizona Wildcats career
– 39 days and counting toward Arizona Wildcats’ season
– Joe Skaisgir best Arizona Wildcats basketball player you’ve never heard of
– Nick Johnson looks to improve FG percentage while Arizona Wildcats limit opponents
– Chris Mills, A.J. Bramlett reached Arizona Wildcats stardom via different paths, roles
– Jordan Hill climbed hill for notoriety while Ed Nymeyer lived up to hype with Arizona Wildcats
– Fantastic Four who wore No. 44: Jersey special for Arizona Wildcats program
– Two of Arizona Wildcats’ best centers — Sean Rooks and Channing Frye — donned No. 45
– Arizona Wildcats great Ernie McCray reminisces about his record-setting 46-point performance
– Arizona Wildcats star recruit should not be compared to Blake Griffin
– Arizona Wildcats coach Sean Miller on fast track to Pac-12 success
– Things you may not know about Arizona Wildcats point guard T.J. McConnell
– Arizona Wildcats will benefit from presence of Joseph Blair in practice
– Arizona Wildcats preparing for what could be memorable 2013-14 season