No. 36 facts about Arizona’s hoops program as we are now 36 days from tip-off:
– Sean Elliott scored a career-high 36 points in a 88-62 victory over Pitt and guard Sean Miller on Dec. 30, 1988 at McKale Center. The Wildcats beat the Panthers for the Fiesta Bowl Classic title that night. Elliott also had 13 rebounds in the game. Miller, now the UA’s head coach, scored 12 points (all from three-point range on 4-of-6 shooting).
– Fred Enke coached at Arizona for a record 36 years, compiling a record of 509-324 from 1925-61 with the Wildcats. Lute Olson holds the UA record with 589 victories. He was 589-187 at the UA from 1983-2007.
– Fred Snowden coached college basketball’s version of the spread offense in 1973-74 (without a shot clock). That team still holds the UA record for 36.4 field goals per game.
– Sophomore guard Gabe York scored only 36 points in 15 games last year. As Miller develops his rotation, look for York to get plenty of opportunities, especially early in the season to show he belongs among the top nine or 10 players.
– Arizona averaged 36.4 rebounds a game last year, the best mark in Miller’s first four years at Arizona. That number should increase this year with sophomores Kaleb Tarczewski and Brandon Ashley returning, and athletic freshman forwards Aaron Gordon and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson joining the team.
Note: No Arizona players have worn jersey numbers 36-39.
Countdown to Tip-off Blogs:
– Nick Johnson looks to improve perimeter shooting, limit turnovers
– Jordin Mayes hoping to return to shooting form earlier in Arizona Wildcats career
– 39 days and counting toward Arizona Wildcats’ season
– Joe Skaisgir best Arizona Wildcats basketball player you’ve never heard of
– Nick Johnson looks to improve FG percentage while Arizona Wildcats limit opponents
– Chris Mills, A.J. Bramlett reached Arizona Wildcats stardom via different paths, roles
– Jordan Hill climbed hill for notoriety while Ed Nymeyer lived up to hype with Arizona Wildcats
– Fantastic Four who wore No. 44: Jersey special for Arizona Wildcats program
– Two of Arizona Wildcats’ best centers — Sean Rooks and Channing Frye — donned No. 45
– Arizona Wildcats great Ernie McCray reminisces about his record-setting 46-point performance
– Arizona Wildcats star recruit should not be compared to Blake Griffin
– Arizona Wildcats coach Sean Miller on fast track to Pac-12 success
– Things you may not know about Arizona Wildcats point guard T.J. McConnell
– Arizona Wildcats will benefit from presence of Joseph Blair in practice
– Arizona Wildcats preparing for what could be memorable 2013-14 season