No. 38 facts about Arizona’s hoops program as we are now 38 days from tip-off:
– Jordin Mayes, the lone senior, has shot 38.8 percent from the field in his career, including 35.5 percent last year. That’s down from his 44.1 percentage as a freshman. Look for his percentage to go above 40 again.
– Steve Kerr averaged 38.4 minutes per game in 1985-86, a UA record. Jason Terry averaged 38.2 in 1998-99 and Jason Gardner 38.2 in 2001-02.
– Bob “Big Bird” Elliott scored 38 points twice in his career in 1974. He is the only UA player to score at least that amount three times (he also scored 39 points against Utah in 1975).
– Seventeen players on the 1987-88 and 2010-11 teams have played in a record 38 games in a season. The 1987-88 team (Sean Elliott, Steve Kerr and Co.) went to the Final Four and finished with a 35-3 record. The 2010-11 team (Derrick Williams and Co.) finished 30-8, advancing to the Elite Eight.
Note: No Arizona players have worn jersey numbers 36-39.
Countdown to Tip-off Blogs:
– 39 days and counting toward Arizona Wildcats’ season
– Joe Skaisgir best Arizona Wildcats basketball player you’ve never heard of
– Nick Johnson looks to improve FG percentage while Arizona Wildcats limit opponents
– Chris Mills, A.J. Bramlett reached Arizona Wildcats stardom via different paths, roles
– Jordan Hill climbed hill for notoriety while Ed Nymeyer lived up to hype with Arizona Wildcats
– Fantastic Four who wore No. 44: Jersey special for Arizona Wildcats program
– Two of Arizona Wildcats’ best centers — Sean Rooks and Channing Frye — donned No. 45
– Arizona Wildcats great Ernie McCray reminisces about his record-setting 46-point performance
– Arizona Wildcats star recruit should not be compared to Blake Griffin
– Arizona Wildcats coach Sean Miller on fast track to Pac-12 success
– Things you may not know about Arizona Wildcats point guard T.J. McConnell
– Arizona Wildcats will benefit from presence of Joseph Blair in practice
– Arizona Wildcats preparing for what could be memorable 2013-14 season