No. 40 facts about Arizona’s hoops program as we are now 40 days from tip-off:
Joe Skaisgir … bet you’ve never heard of him.
He wore the No. 40 quite well. He was a 6-foot-5, 200-pound forward and team captain for Bruce Larsen in 1961-62. He was the first Arizona basketball player to score more than 1,000 points in two seasons of play after transferring from Henry Ford Community College in Dearborn, Mich.
His 529 points in 1961-62 added to the 505 he scored the previous year to give him a career total of 1,034. At the time of his departure from the program, Skaisgir set school all-time records in the following categories: Most field goals made (season) — 208; most field goals made (game) — 17 (vs. Hardin- Simmons); scoring average (career) — 19.9 points per game; rebounds (game) — 26 tied (vs. Hardin-Simmons). His 44 points scored against Hardin Simmons was the second highest single-game output behind Ernie McCray’s 46 against Cal State-Los Angeles in 1960.
During the 1960-61 season he became the first athlete in school history to win the basketball scoring title and lead the baseball team in hitting (.425).
Skaisgir finished with career averages of 19.9 points and 11.2 rebounds. He ranks No. 1 with the rebounding mark and is behind only Coniel Norman’s unbeatable 23.9 scoring average set from 1973-74.
Countdown to Tip-off Blogs:
– Nick Johnson looks to improve FG percentage while Arizona Wildcats limit opponents
– Chris Mills, A.J. Bramlett reached Arizona Wildcats stardom via different paths, roles
– Jordan Hill climbed hill for notoriety while Ed Nymeyer lived up to hype with Arizona Wildcats
– Fantastic Four who wore No. 44: Jersey special for Arizona Wildcats program
– Two of Arizona Wildcats’ best centers — Sean Rooks and Channing Frye — donned No. 45
– Arizona Wildcats great Ernie McCray reminisces about his record-setting 46-point performance
– Arizona Wildcats star recruit should not be compared to Blake Griffin
– Arizona Wildcats coach Sean Miller on fast track to Pac-12 success
– Things you may not know about Arizona Wildcats point guard T.J. McConnell
– Arizona Wildcats will benefit from presence of Joseph Blair in practice
– Arizona Wildcats preparing for what could be memorable 2013-14 season