No. 41 facts about Arizona’s hoops program as we are now 41 days from tip-off:
– Ed Stokes was the last UA player to wear No. 41 21 years ago (1990-93). Only No. 32, last worn by UA legend Sean Elliott in 1989, has gone longer without being worn. That number is of course retired with Elliott’s name. No. 25, retired in honor of Steve Kerr’s exploits, has not been worn since Dylan Rigdon in 1992-93, the last year Stokes donned No. 41.
– Stokes ranks fourth in blocked shots with 167 and 10th in field-goal percentage (.599) in UA history.
– Nick Johnson’s career field-goal percentage is 41.1 after two seasons with the Wildcats. He improved to 44.8 percent last year after shooting only 36.9 percent his freshman season. Look for a year in which he shoots better than 46 percent by mixing strong, athletic moves to the hoop or via the three-pointer.
– Opponents shot 41.1 percent from the field last year against the Wildcats. The record low in the UA’s Pac-10/12 years is 39.2 in 1989-90. Look for the Wildcats to make opponents come close to shooting that mark or worse this year because of a renewed focus on defense, starting with point guard T.J. McConnell.
Countdown to Tip-off Blogs:
– Chris Mills, A.J. Bramlett reached Arizona Wildcats stardom via different paths, roles
– Jordan Hill climbed hill for notoriety while Ed Nymeyer lived up to hype with Arizona Wildcats
– Fantastic Four who wore No. 44: Jersey special for Arizona Wildcats program
– Two of Arizona Wildcats’ best centers — Sean Rooks and Channing Frye — donned No. 45
– Arizona Wildcats great Ernie McCray reminisces about his record-setting 46-point performance
– Arizona Wildcats star recruit should not be compared to Blake Griffin
– Arizona Wildcats coach Sean Miller on fast track to Pac-12 success
– Things you may not know about Arizona Wildcats point guard T.J. McConnell
– Arizona Wildcats will benefit from presence of Joseph Blair in practice
– Arizona Wildcats preparing for what could be memorable 2013-14 season