No. 48 facts about the Arizona Wildcats …
– The UA team record for three-pointers is an unbelievable 48.3 percent by the first Final Four team in 1987-88. Steve Kerr, Sean Elliott and Co. combined to make 254 of 526 attempts that season.
Three shooters from the 1987-88 team are included in the UA’s top 10 listing of three-point shooters in a season. Kerr has the unbeatable school-record of 57.3 percent (114 of 199) and Elliott is at No. 8 at 47.1 percent (41 of 87). Trivia question: Who is ranked No. 7 and played on that team? Answer is at the end of this blog. Bet you don’t know.
– Arizona shot 48 percent from three-point range in its NCAA tournament run last season, including 66.7 percent from beyond the arc from returning guard Nick Johnson (4 of 6).
– In 1948, Arizona’s Mo Udall — who went on to be a long-time Congressman and one-time presidential candidate — was selected to the All-Border Conference team. He was drafted by the Denver Nuggets that year.
– Sean Miller has a Pac-12 record of 48-24 in four seasons, which means he wins two out of every three conference games. Over a course of a season, that equals a 12-6 record. That kind of record is good for a top three spot in the league. Lute Olson’s average Pac-10 record in his 24 years was 13.6 wins and 4.4 defeats.
Miller is one of only two coaches to win 48 conference games in his ﬁrst four seasons in the league, joining UCLA’s Steve Lavin, who went 49-23 (.681) from 1996-2000.
– The Wildcats have 48 official NCAA tournament victories in 28 appearances. They are 48-27 overall.
– Senior guard Jordin Mayes has played in only 48 games in his three-year career, mostly because of injuries. If Arizona goes all the way to the NCAA title game and Mayes plays in every game this season, it would be 40 games.
– A quick note: Collegiate uniform numbers do not allow for a player to wear Nos. 46 to 49. That’s why no players are listed with that accompanied number. The next jersey number featured will be No. 45.
Trivia answer: Harvey Mason is the No. 7 three-point shooter in Arizona’s history, making 19 of 40 (47.1 percent).
Countdown to Tip-off Blogs:
– Things you may not know about Arizona Wildcats point guard T.J. McConnell
– Arizona Wildcats will benefit from presence of Joseph Blair in practice
– Arizona Wildcats preparing for what could be memorable 2013-14 season